Wednesday, July 31, 2013

If you're hiring a solar contractor ...

... Make sure they are properly licensed! If they give you a proposal, it should have their license number, expiration date, class of contractor and their speciality.
  • Class A contractors can perform unlimited size jobs. 
  • Class B contractors can perform most residential-size retrofit jobs up to $120,000.
  • Class C contractors are only allowed to do individual jobs up to $10,000. 
If they are installing a solar water heater, they may have an Alternate Energy Systems classification (AES), but they must also have a Plumbing (PLB) or Master Mechanics (HVA) license to perform the work and obtain permits. Likewise, if a contracor is going to install a solar electric (PV) system, they may have an AES classification, but they must have an Electrical license (ELE) as well. If they are licensed as a general contractor (BLD), they may employ subcontractors such as electricians, plumbers and other trades to perform work at your location.

System installed by Solar Services in Hampton Roads

1 comment:

myrtle mayers said...

This is very good information.i think it's useful advice. really nice blog. keep it up!!!

- solar contractors massachusetts